Get vaccinated against COVID-19: click here

Free Muni for Youth

The Free Muni Program provides low and moderate income San Francisco youth ages 5 to 18 free access to Muni services, including cable cars, when using a Clipper card.

Once you are in possession of your Free Muni Clipper Card you can transfer it to your phone on the Clipper App.

If your card has been lost or stolen please contact the Clipper Customer Service Center (1.877.878.8883).  Once your child is enrolled in the program they need not reapply. Their pass will continue to work until their 19th birthday.

All San Francisco residents aged 5 to 18 with a gross annual family income at or below 100 percent of the Bay Area Median Income level are eligible for the program.

How to Sign-Up for Free Muni for Youth

Fill out the program application online:

  • If you have a registered youth Clipper card you will be asked to provide the serial number while applying.
  •  If you do not a have a registered youth Clipper card you will be asked to upload a copy or photo of a proof of age document.

If you are unable to complete the online form, please mail a completed Program Application to:

SFMTA Customer Service Center
11 South Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94103

If applying with your current Clipper card, you will receive notification when the pass has been successfully uploaded to your current card. If applying for a new Clipper card, you will receive a card with the pass loaded in the mail.

You can also request an application be mailed to you

Important Note: All fields of the application must be completed and a copy of an approved document to verify age (for new Clipper card customers) must be attached. Applicant must be between the ages of 5 and 18 (children under 5 ride free), a resident of San Francisco, and within the income requirements to participate in the program. Illegible or incomplete applications will not be processed.

Please allow up to three weeks to process applications for existing Clipper card holders and up to four weeks for if a new card is needed.

For more information: